Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ice Cold in Winnipeg

It is important to both myself and my wife that Cate grows up knowing about her Canadian roots. So we gave her a true Canadian experience by taking her out to downtown Winnipeg in January. To an Englishman unaware of the facts, there seemed nothing unusual about this. To an Englishman aware of the facts it seemed like child abuse. The temperature was -25 celsius.

I had never been out in such a climate and it seemed crazy to take my 7 month old daughter for a joint first time experience. However, my Winnipegger wife assured me that with no wind it would be OK. One of the problems facing Captain Scott was sweating in such cold temperatures and as I shoved my baby's pushchair through the urban snowdrifts I could identify with this. Cate remained snug and warm and totally unperturbed by the whole ordeal.

Out of the three of us, only I thought that our trip down to the shops was an adventure. Remind me who the kid is?

No comments: